Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Husband Is A Writer

Today has been an eventful day.

The girls left today to meet up with their father in New Orleans for a family reunion. So the morning seemed hectic with the packing, checking what was packed, identify items that hadn't been packed (i.e. toothbrush), doing last minute small load of laundry because of the typical "Mommmmmm, I can't possibly go to New Orleans without my favorite top" crisis. So with hair on fire we leave the house for the airport. Girls meet up with their Grandma and the three of them are off for what is hopefully a 5 day fun filled trip reacquainting with great uncles and cousins.

From the airport Grant and I had to do a whirlwind tour between two bases to get my expense report generated and submitted so I can get my money back from this week's trip.

Back at the house by 4:30 to meet up with a roofing contractor to get an estimate. I'm long overdue for a new roof and while I knew it was going to be expensive, but this is turning out to be a budget buster. Anyhoo........

FINALLY, around 6:30, Grant and I find ourselves starting the evening with no kids, no contractors, no mandatory errands, no paperwork or mail to go through........we look at each other and both of us seem to say "what now?"

This evening Grant and I had a really great dinner at Claim Jumpers and proceed to waddle out of the restaurant and stroll over to a Barnes and Noble. I head over to the knitting book section (Grant always knows where to find me if I'm in a bookstore). Grant goes off to some other section......usually somewhere in the area of WWII history section. I'm looking through the knit book section and I'm mentally adding to my Wish List when I turn around and see Grant standing behind me with a book in his hand.

About a year ago, Grant submitted an entry in a contest for one of the upcoming Chicken Soup for the Soul series. Soon after he sent in his entry, he was notified that he won first place! In the last year we'd get periodic updates as to the release of the book and the title. About three weeks ago we were told the final title of the book, "Chicken Soup for the Soul: Divorce and Recovery" with a release date.

This evening while at Barnes and Noble, Grant found the book. I call it His Book, but he will tell you "it is a book that I contributed to"......whatEVER.....it is
HIS FIRST U.S. American book published. I can even prove it!!!......

102308_1917c.jpg 102308_1917b.jpg


I thought it was pretty exciting to be standing in the middle of a leading bookstore and find a book on the shelves with a story in it that my husband wrote. I think he was excited too!

102308_1916b.jpg 102308_1917a.jpg

This was a great way to end an evening!!

2 comments:

CaveGurl said...

Congrats to Grant!! I'll have to run out and get the book so I can read it! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

Always new he could write. And on a topic he felt important about