Friday, February 22, 2008

While the husband is away.....Confessions Part 2

Here we are on Freaky Friday with an actual post specifically for those of you that are knitters:

As it happens, while Grant was away this week, I have received a few knitting books in the mail! My favorite time of day is when the UPS truck comes barreling around the corner and I hear the brakes of the truck screeching to bring it to a stop in front of our house. I am at the door waiting after hearing the metal clanking of the door opening and the driver steps out with my packages. Anyone from Ravelry that has ever seen my library count will clearly see that I love collecting knitting books and magazines!

This week I received 4 knitting books.

The first book was Knitting Circles Around Socks: Knit Two at a Time on Circular Needles by Antje Gillingham

The second book was 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes

Both of these books have great sock patterns and both explain the method for working two socks at the same time on circular needles. "Knitting Circles Around Socks" uses the two circular needle method while "2-at-a-time Socks" uses the Magic Loop method. As someone who is familiar with both methods I find the two circular needle method to be easier and I don't have to buy a special length needle to make a pair of socks. I will work patterns from both books using my preferred method using two circular needles. Either of these techniques are great to master in order to avoid the dreaded 2nd sock syndrome. The patterns in both of these books give a well rounded selection of socks for the family and so far I'm happy to add them to my collection.

The third book was Cover Up with Nicky Epstein: Knitted Afghans from her Personal Collection There are roughly 21 different patterns of afghans in this book and there isn't one of them that I could easily pass on making. At some point, I would like to make them all.....something to look forward to in the years to come.

Okay..I lied, the fourth book is actually a crochet book. It is Nicky Epstein's Crocheted Flowers This is similar to her Knitted Flowers book but a nice companion to have if you are both a knitter and crocheter. I love to embellish simple sweaters for my daughters and so both books have something to offer.

I love collecting and using books as much as I do yarn. The only limit is space, and one can always just add on to the house or move up I suppose.

Only thing left to do is to tuck the books away before Grant gets home tomorrow. He will certainly notice the first time I bring them out....by then my response can be "What? These books?....I've had these for awhile now honey!" 8-)

No comments: